A Long History Of Excellence
Margaret M. Hock
- Workers' Compensation
- Emergency Consultation Services
- In-Service Presentations and Programs
- Estate Planning and Administration
Margaret Hock, the president/shareholder of the law firm of Thomson, Rhodes & Cowie, P.C., first joined the firm in 1999. As a member of the firm, she has devoted her practice almost exclusively to the defense of workers' compensation claims, in addition to being part of the firm’s estate practice.
Prior to working with Thomson, Rhodes & Cowie, P.C., Ms. Hock was employed by the firm of Freeland & Kronz, where she was involved in general litigation and estate practice, but primarily practiced in the field of workers' compensation, representing employers insured through the State Workers' Insurance Fund, as well as the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in claims filed under the Occupational Disease Act. In addition, she assisted as local counsel for the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue relative to inheritance tax matters.
Throughout her career, she has been dedicated to working with clients to achieve the most favorable results in a cost effective and efficient manner. Given the nature of her practice, she appears on a regular basis before the Pennsylvania Workers' Compensation Judges and the Workers' Compensation Appeal Board, as well as the Commonwealth Court. She also maintains an active workers' compensation practice in West Virginia. Examples of her work include:
- Handling of all aspects of litigation of workers' compensation cases, including but not limited to litigation of cases involving claim, termination, suspension, modification, penalty and review petitions, as well as applications for reimbursement from the Supersedeas Reimbursement Fund.
- Providing periodic consultation and advice to clients relative to claims handling and related issues.
- Assistance in obtaining and clarifying medical opinions for purposes of litigation on an as-needed basis.
- Negotiation of settlements on behalf of clients, including, but not limited to Compromise & Release Agreements, protection of subrogation liens, as well as drafting appropriate settlement-related documents.
- Assistance with other employment related documents, such as return to work letters, preparation of job descriptions, or any other type of correspondence or notice on an as-needed basis.
- Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1986
- University of Pittsburgh
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1981
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Pennsylvania, 1986
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1987
- West Virginia, 2009
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania, 1987
- Co-Editor, Thomson, Rhodes & Cowie, P.C. PA Workers' Compensation Bulletin
- Editor, Thomson, Rhodes & Cowie, P.C. PA Unemployment Compensation Newsletter
- Editor, Thomson, Rhodes & Cowie, P.C. W VA Workers' Compensation Law Notes
- Pennsylvania Bar Association