In the finest tradition of the legal profession.
James A. Mazzotta
- Worker's Compensation
- Unemployment Compensation
James A. Mazzotta joined Thomson, Rhodes & Cowie, P.C. in May 2017 as "Special Counsel" and will represent employers, self-insureds and third-party administrators in workers' compensation and occupational disease litigation. Prior to joining TR&C, Mr. Mazzotta was a partner at another Pittsburgh workers' compensation firm for nearly 30 years where he handled cases in the western half of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Mazzotta is a 1988 graduate of the Duquesne University School of Law, finishing seventh in his class. He was a member of the Appellate Moot Court and Senior Staff of the Duquesne University Law Review. His undergraduate degree was awarded by the University of Pittsburgh in 1985 in Political Science.
Mr. Mazzotta has developed a very practical and cost-minded approach handling and litigating workers' compensation claims. His experience is extensive in the areas of pension and other offset cases, which include two successful Decisions from the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania.
Appellant practice has been a particular area of interest for Mr. Mazzotta, with nearly 30 reported cases from the Commonwealth and Supreme Courts of Pennsylvania. He has written Briefs and argued before Commonwealth Court panels, the Commonwealth Court en banc, and the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Mazzotta has been a speaker for NBI (National Business Institute) seminars and at numerous in-house seminars for clients concerning recent workers' compensation case law developments as well as periodic amendments to the Workers' Compensation Act.
- Duquesne University School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Honors: Appellate Moot Court, Member
- Honors: Seventh in his Class
- University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts - 1985
- Major: Political Science
- Pennsylvania, 1988
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1988
- U.S. District Court Western District of Pennsylvania
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section, Member
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section, Member
Current Employment Position